Best Trading Journal - Forex Dashboard template
Every business in the world needs to keep (trading) journal to have some way to measure, track and stay focused on improving its performance. A school keeps student and teacher attendance, test and exam result records of all students to track the performance of students. A retailer, distributor and a factory also keep records of the daily activities to measure productivity, sales, and profit etc.
Forex Trading is also a business, a trader needs to keep a trading journal to track to his performance. Though the statement from brokers platform also shows information about the trades, current balance, and profit/loss it is not enough to know the performance of each pair, session, and trading strategy.
Benefits of keeping a personal trading diary
help you improve your trading performance, avoid mistakes, eliminate losing trades.
- Clarifying your weaknesses and strengths in your ability to perform.
- Fine-tune your strategy and method.
- Make you a more disciplined, consistent, and profitable trader.
Some traders keep records of their trade only in trading journal spreadsheet but I have used a spreadsheet and visualized it in the form of charts, graphs, and other visuals in Microsoft Power BI.
Power bi is free software from Microsoft used for data analysis and data visualization. Power bi reports and dashboard can be viewed in desktop, web browsers, power bi cloud, and mobile phones.
A picture tells a thousand words. The dashboard is so comprehensive that you can see the account summary and strategy performance at a glance.
Forex Trading Journal | Forex Dashboard
Closed trade history data is visualized into 4 part in this dashboard.
- Account summary
- Effective key factor, Risk summary
- Strategy key factor, Weekly evolution
- Performance Detail, (Pair Summary, Session Summary, Pips gained etc)
- Use the Date and drop-down filter to filter the dashboard.
- Drill down Icon is used to drill down to the next level. like Year > Quarter > Month > Date and drill up to upper levels.
- Click on any part of any chart or visual to see its data in all other visuals, charts, and tables. Click on empty space in the same visual to clear filter.
- Use the full-screen icon to see the visual in full-screen mode.
- Balance by Date chart shows the ending balance for each day.
- Balance by Trade chart shows the ending balance after each trade is closed.
- In net profit chart, you can see the net profit by year, quarter, month and date using the drill down and drill up.
- The left side cards show the Begining balance, Deposit, Withdrawal, Profit/Loss, Commission, Swap, Net profit/loss and ending balance.
Effective key factor, Risk summary
- Net profit/loss by item chart shows net profit/loss for traded pairs.
- Weekly net profit chart show weekly performance.
- Total Trades: total closed trades for the period.
- #Winners: the total number of winning trades.
- #Losseers: the total number of losing trades.
- Win %: winner trades percentage of the total trades.
- Loss %: loser trades a percentage of the total trades.
- Avg profit/loss per trade: if it is profit, profit divided by the winner trades OR if it is a loss, loss divided by loser trades.
- Avg Profit: the average of the profitable trades.
- Avg Loss: the average of the losing trades.
- Max Risk: trade with the biggest loss.
- Max Risk %: Max risk percentage of the total account balance.
Strategy key factor
- Session structure: the pie chart shows the number of trades and the percentage of total trade for sessions.
- Portfolio structure: this pie chart shows the number of winning and losing trades and the percentage of total trades.
- Net Profit/Loss by session: shows the net profit or loss for sessions.
- Top 5 Assets: Top 5 pairs with maximum profit.
- Weekly Evolution: weekly number of winning and losing trades.
- #Total Trades: Total number of trades.
- #Total Traded Pairs: Total number of pairs traded in the period.
- #Buy Trades: Total number of buy trades.
- Buy Trade %: total buy trades percentage of the total trades.
- #Sell Trades: Total number of sell trades.
- Sell Trade %: total sell trades percentage of the total trades.
- Pips Gained: total pips gained in all closed trades.
- Expectancy: Shows the expectancy or reliability of the trading system. Expectancy formula is (1+(Average Winning trades/Average Lossing trades)) x Percentage win ratio - 1.
Expectancy shows the accuracy and reliability of your trading system. If it is a positive percentage, the system will produce the percentage profit for you.
In this part pair summary, session summary, top 5 trades, worst 5 trades etc are shown in tables you can view in full-screen mode.
How to use the Template
Download a detailed statement from your Mt4 trading account. Copy closed trades data and save it in excel file and put in a folder. Add new closed trades data be the existing data in excel every time you download the mt4 statement.
Change the source data folder path according to your data folder. and click on the refresh button in the home tab.
If you had any suggestion to improve this forex dashboard, comment on your suggestion below or if you want this template also comment below this post.